Eight of Forde’s young sporting stars have each received a $500 grant to support their passion thanks to the latest round of the Coalition Government’s Local Sporting Champions (LSC) grant program.
The LSC program is an Australian Government initiative designed to provide financial assistance to young sports men and women aged between 12 and 18.
Federal Member for Forde Bert van Manen MP congratulated this year’s recipients and said he was very pleased to be able to help support Forde’s young sporting champions.
“We have some talented young athletes in my electorate of Forde and competing nationally and internationally can be quite costly for mum and dad,” Mr van Manen said.
“The LSC grants are a great way to help cover some of the costs of competing and help our rising sporting stars take on the best in the country and the world.”
This year’s Local Sporting Champions are:
- Mark Mcadam – grant to compete in the 10th Pacific School Games for swimming
- Jade Smith – grant to travel to South Africa to compete in the Test Match Series for hockey
- Cameron Humphrey – grant to compete in the AAU Junior Olympics for skating
- Oliver Maher – grant to compete in the 2018 Australian Junior Athletics Championships for athletics
- Imogen Noon – grant to compete in the 10th Pacific School Games for football (soccer)
- Kyle Wynne – grant to compete in the AAU Junior Olympics for skating
- Kye Sutherland – grant to compete in the 2018 Australian Surf Life Saving Championships for surf life saving
- Matilda Alexandersson – grant to compete in the World Junior Championships for table tennis
Successful applicants received a $500 grant to use towards the cost of travel, accommodation, uniforms or equipment when competing, coaching or officiating at an official national sporting organisation (NSO) endorsed state, national or international sporting championships, or a School Sport Australia state, national or international championships.
For more information or to apply for funding to compete at an upcoming event, visit https://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/grants_and_funding/local_sporting_champions.